Test Prep Gurus is committed to offering our people opportunities for growth, both professionally and personally. We’ll ask a lot from you and we’ll provide a lot in return: inviting work spaces, learning opportunities, the chance to work with a talented and passionate team, and a chance to effect positive change in the world through your work.
Rules we work by:
- Our clients will walk over hot coals to help their child reach their goals. So will we.
- Standardized exams tell us little of value about an individual. The scores are simply a means to reach students’ long term goals.
- First guide the student to understand why we are doing what we are doing. The what, how, and when, come after.
- Our secret sauce is “D.I.G.”
- Deliberate Practice
- Intrinsic Motivation
- Growth Mindset
- The test prep process has the power to change students’ lives – the colleges they are admitted to, the scholarships they win, and what they perceive they are capable of in the future.
Who We Are:
- Nothing is standardized, each program is unique. We customize each program to more effectively help students achieve their goals.
- We know that good grades or intelligence don't always correlate with high starting scores on these exams. That’s okay. A starting score is just a jumping off point.
- Everything we do is structured to achieve a result: the homework, practice tests, schedule, instructor pairing, partner communication, and so on, down the last little detail.
- We utilize a “takes a village approach” to ensure student-success. Every part of the team matters, the director, the instructors, the parents, and the counselor.
- Bootcamps aren’t healthy (or very effective). If that's your thing, we probably aren't a good fit for you.
- We take the time to learn about each family and student.
- We contend that choosing a test prep firm is not like buying a Honda Civic where the only differentiating factor is price. It’s a lore more like hiring a law firm. Quality and experience make the difference between a mediocre experience and an exceptional one.
- The test prep process, when properly executed, is about much more than increasing a score. It’s about admission to a selective right-fit college, earning a scholarship, increasing opportunities for the future, and inspiring students to push the boundaries of what they believe is possible.
Who We are Not:
- If the cram school model sounds appealing, you won’t find it here.
- We don’t teach to a test. We go much deeper than that. Over time it becomes mentoring, coaching, and pushing students to grow beyond their perceived boundaries and flourish.
- We are not tutors. We are instructors.
- We believe in work/life balance. Being present at work. And working hard when we are working.
- We don’t punch time cards. Schedules are flexible and fluid so that we can meet students and clients on their time.
- We are not single minded workaholics – we are always challenging ourselves in other arenas and pushing ourselves to grow in other ways.
- We aren’t instructional mercenaries. This is a passion.
Test Prep Gurus is currently accepting applications for part-time SAT and ACT instructors in Claremont, Pasadena, and throughout Orange County. We're looking for personable educators who are excited to help young people reach their goals for college by improving their standardized test scores.
- Part-time instructors typically work 5-30 hours per week (you choose how much or little you want to work.)
- Flexible, autonomous teaching environment.
- Support from the entire organization -- we find the students, provide ongoing training, handle the scheduling, provide professional learning spaces, etc., so you can focus solely on teaching.
Standardized Score on ACT or SAT (testing can also be completed in our offices)
Summary of Academic or Standardized Exam Instruction Experience